Status update?

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Hi,

I've been following your blog and have been looking closely at using your code as the basis for a project I am working on. Thank you for spending time putting it together and making it public.

I do have a few quick questions.

For the MvcEx sample code, how do I select between the core and the premium versions? What do I browse to? Would the production configuration be the same? How would you run core vs. premium using the built-in Visual Studio web server or do you have to set up host headers in IIS?

Using host headers in production is fine (site1.blah.com, site2.blah.com etc.). However, for debugging and development, using a flag on the query string is very handy (http://localhost:16695/?site=core). It lets you quickly switch between sites as needed.

Lastly, are we going to be seeing a new blog post soon? :)

Thanks again! Nice job.

Rick

Coordinator
Mar 3, 2010 at 7:30 AM
Edited Mar 3, 2010 at 7:30 AM

The process of selecting a configuration is done via a IMvcExApplicationConfigurationSelector, which will be queried from time to time to find out what the current configuration is.

I find when testing very simple sites, that just hard coding one to return a certain value works fine - but of course you could make it look at the current query string and choose configuration from that.. or look at session or what have you.

A very basic one looks like this:

public class DefaultConfigurationSelector : IMvcExApplicationConfigurationSelector

{

public string GetActiveConfigurationId()

{

// Fall back to default

return "default";

}

}

You can set this up in MvcEx like this:

mApplication.SetConfigurationSelector(new DefaultConfigurationSelector());

Where mApplication is your MvcExApplication

I can't remember which one the demo uses off hand - but you can see it's easy to write your own hard coded one (or query string based one)

A new blog post will be incoming after my current work deadline - very stressed this past couple of weeks! :)

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. I now understand how configuration works.

Rick